Job Opportunity: Campaigner (permanent, full-time)
Posting date: Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Closing date: Sunday August 27, 2023
Start date: As soon as possible, ideally by mid-October
Location: Flexible (Note: we currently have staff based in Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, and Victoria, with offices located in Toronto and Vancouver)
Compensation: $58,808.52, plus benefits including paid vacation, sick leaves, and access to a professional dev budget
This is a unionized position with BCGEU. Note: we are working a 4 day, 32 hour, Mon-Thurs week as of Feb 1, 2022, salary unchanged, with the intention to ratify in the collective agreement.
Leadnow is an independent advocacy organization powered by more than 600,000 members campaigning for social, economic and climate justice. Together, we do what it takes, with fierce integrity, to have impact as a powerful progressive force in Canada.
Our campaigns aim to create accessible opportunities online and on the ground for people to organize and influence the priorities and policies of governments and corporations. We want a more open, accountable, and representative democracy because decisions should be driven by the people whose lives they affect.
We’re looking for two creative and motivated Campaigners to join our team. The ideal candidates will have excellent communication and writing skills, demonstrated abilities in planning and executing campaigns or projects to achieve impact, and are passionate about the power of ordinary people to affect change.
About the role
Reporting to the Campaigns Manager, the Campaigner is responsible for leading and supporting specific Leadnow campaigns and delivering on a suite of digital and offline tactics that enable our members to influence policy and the broader direction of society as a whole.
Core areas of work this role is responsible for are:
- Campaign strategy: Work with the campaigns team to lead or support the development of effectively targeted campaign strategies and tactics with clear theories of change. Scan the news, speak to experts, and collaborate with other organizations to identify new campaign opportunities. Support data-driven and qualitative evaluation of campaigning efforts.
- Communications and content development: Efficiently and collaboratively write compelling web copy and emails to send to thousands of Leadnow members to serve campaign goals. Occasionally produce other written and visual content such as media advisories, blogs, and social media posts, based on solid analysis of what messages and mediums are effective to move key targets and audiences.
- Tactical deployment: Execute a variety of digital and media campaign tactics, such as organizing and implementing broadcast emails; petitions; and digital, radio or print ads, to enable effective delivery against campaign goals. Work with the organizing team on execution of “live” tactical events, such as rallies, petition deliveries or supporter-driven lobbying of corporate and political leaders (calls, emails, meetings).
- Supporter engagement: Deliver high-quality digital experiences for Leadnow supporters and design and implement inspiring and impactful journeys - from assessing supporter interest in an issue and signing a petition, through to registering for an offline event, to reporting back to supporters about campaign progress.
You should apply if:
We’re seeking candidates with a mix of the following characteristics. If you don’t meet all of them but are energized by Leadnow’s mission and excited about how you could contribute in this role, we want to hear from you.
- You’re good at strategic thinking and problem-solving and are energized by creating effective actions to influence decision-makers and move us toward our goals
- You’re able to write accessible, persuasive copy to motivate people to action
- You’ve got a knack for learning new tech systems (like an email delivery system, membership database, or Facebook Ads Manager)
- You’re a great team player and communicator, and also able to drive work independently
- You’re organized, accountable, and great at taking initiative in identifying gaps and finding and implementing solutions to move your work forward
- You’re able to effectively prioritize and handle different demands and shift with evolving political campaigning contexts
- You’re excited about working in a proactive anti-oppression work environment that engages in necessary and sometimes tough conversations and trainings to identify and dismantle structural inequalities within and beyond Leadnow
Some things that would be considered ‘big pluses’ but are not required, are:
- You have digital campaigning experience, or are familiar with digital advocacy platforms like NationBuilder or Engaging Networks
- You understand basic data analysis and analytics, and A/B testing, particularly in a digital campaigning environment
- You have skills in Government Relations, media, or public relations
- You’re familiar with the MoveOn/Avaaz/Change.org model of digital campaigning
As a leading progressive campaigning organization, we recognize the importance of our staff reflecting the communities our work aims to benefit. Even as we work to unlearn our biases, we know that our identities and lived experiences affect how we work, prioritize, and how we build relationships. We strongly encourage candidates who are Black, Indigenous, people of colour, women, 2SLGBTQI, immigrants, people with disabilities, and people from low-income and working-class backgrounds and/or with lived experience of poverty to apply. We recognize that this is neither exhaustive nor representative of the intersectionality present within each individual.
How to apply
To submit an application, please send the following, ideally in a single PDF, to [email protected] by Sunday August 27 at 11:59 PM PT:
- Your CV or resume
- In lieu of a cover letter, a supporting application, addressing the following questions (suggested max of 250 words per question):
- Why are you applying for this job? Briefly tell us why you’re interested and how you’re suited.
- Briefly describe a digital campaign tactic that you led (or had a significant hand in shaping), including the ask, the strategy, and the results or main learnings.
- Unequal power dynamics shape how we move through the world and how we interact and work with others. Could you share your understanding of your positionality (this may include your reflections on how you have/do not have power or privilege) and how that shapes your approach to social change?
- If applicable, list which of the ‘big plus’ skills you have, with a few sentences of explanation if helpful for context.
Leadnow is committed to ensuring that all applicants are able to participate in our hiring processes to the best of their ability. Please indicate in your application if there’s anything we can do to make the application or interview process more accessible.
Only selected candidates will be contacted by Friday, September 1 to organize next steps. Short-listed candidates will be invited to complete a take-home task, then an interview.